Friday, August 12, 2005

Rant of the Day

Originally, this was called "Thought of the Day".... however, I realized that they (my thoughts) were more ranty than thoughty, hence, the title change. Today's rant - Air Care. Okay, so it's my own fault this time, that I didn't read my insurance renewal notice, specifically the portion that said "Air Care - not required". I don't actually have to go until next year (a 3 year exemption on new cars - whoopie), next year, I get to pay $47 dollars for them to test my car and then tell me it's fine and not emitting any harmful emissions. Now, I noticed the signage at Air Care, cars 1991 and older - $23. Cars 1992 and newer - $47. That's double plus $1 if you have a newer car. The guy told me that it's because they "do a different test" on newer cars. Ultimately, the test really only costs $23. So why the price difference between older and newer cars? ICBC had a surplas or a savings (I'm not sure which) of somewhere in the range of 130 billion that we, as people who pay for car insurance, are supposed to benefit from this year. My insurance went up by $2 this year (and so did my discount - do you get it????). You'd think that with all this money saved that ICBC and Air Care could work together to reduce the rates that we have to pay for a test that will tell us whether or not the car is emitting harmful emissions. Phew... glad to have gotten that off my chest.

No comments: